Cover

Saturday 11 January 2014

New look Cougars

Today, like many post trade deadline days, the Cougars have a new look.
Late last night the Cougars made a huge trade, sending relative newcomer Nyshan Basra, and Cougar vet, Jake Daughtry over to the Braves. Coming back to the Cougars is 19 year old Sam McMullen, and 20 year old Garret Kemmler. This a pretty big deal as far as I’m concerned. McMullen is huge body that can score, and Kemmler is a quick defender that can also score. The Cougars need scoring… I know I said after the Kerry Park game that the 7 goals Victoria posted could be the spark they needed to get their scoring touch back, but last night in a tough 3-1 loss to the Panthers, the Cougars again had a hard time potting the puck. I’ve heard a few fans of the Cougars say everything ranging from “They are playing against hot teams” to “They are just getting their feet back after a string of injuries”. Whether you agree or not, they need to score goals to win games, and the season is getting shorter. Other teams in the league like Penninsula and Campbell River are playing very well right now. If the Cougars are going to Three-peat as league Champions, goals need to start coming now.
Losing a guy like Daughtry is tough, he’s a solid body up front that can score, hit, grind, and he’s a leader. Thursday night he snagged 2 points and the first star of the game. No question, Jake Daughtry is a solid man to have on your team. I believe Saanich got better by adding him to their roster. I also see Basra flourishing in Braves colours. He is a talented young guy that will see an expanded role in Saanich, which can only help him and his new team. At the end of the day though, the Cougars got better in my opinion. McMullen and Kemmler are solid additions to the team for sure.
Tomorrow night the Cougars will have both McMullen and Kemmler in the roster against Garret Brandsma and the Nanaimo Buccaneers. This has very quickly become my most anticipated game of the season. Former Cougars tough guy Brandsma making his first return to the ABSC facing off against 2 new Cougars who spent the last few seasons frustrating the Cougars every time they played against Saanich. I know I am excited for the game, and I have the best seat in the house. Who am I kidding? I won’t be able to sit at all.