Cover

Sunday 16 February 2014

First Round Playoff Preview

Well after a crazy night last night, the first round of the VIJHL playoffs are set. In the South Division, Victoria will face Kerry Park, while Peninsula will take on Westshore. The North Division sees Comox face Saanich, and Campbell River face Nanaimo. I will lay out my predictions here, and when the first round has concluded I'll check back to see how close I was.

Victoria vs Kerry Park

May as well start off with the series I know best, Cougars and Islanders. This is probably only going to last 4 games, but Kerry Park has shown us this year they can tangle with the best teams in the league. If any of the two underdog teams facing a possible sweep in the first round, Kerry Park has the best chance to steal a game. With that said, I think it's and outside shot at best. The Cougars have dominated the Islanders all season posting a 8-0 record against the rivals from the Malahat.

Prediction: Victoria 4 - Kerry Park 0

Peninsula vs Westshore

This is probably going to be the roughest series to start the playoffs. Both these teams are hard hitting and don't mind dropping the mitts. If you asked me a week ago if Westshore had a chance I would have said yes, but not now. After the game the Wolves put up against Victoria last week, the Panthers should steam roll the Wolves now. Westshore came into Victoria and played a game like they had nothing to lose, which couldn't be further from the truth. They may have had an outside shot at stealing the series, but that was before the dismal game versus the Cougars. They were dirty, cheap, and played with out discipline. The Panthers can score, and they have a deadly Power Play.

Prediction: Peninsula 4 - Westshore 1

Comox vs Saanich

This is the other series I see only lasting 4 games. Saanich has basically given up on the season. They haven't played well for most of the season and most certainly not lately. Comox on the other hand has been playing very well, and they are my prediction to get into the finals from the North.

Prediction: Comox 4 - Saanich 0

Campbell River vs Nanaimo

This is the one series that I think will go the furthest. Nanaimo started the season very strong and then just fizzled. They don't have the depth that the Storm will carry into the regular season, and have some issues with penalties as well. With that said, I still think they can put up a few wins against Campbell River. If the Storm are able to hold off the Buccaneers in the first round, I'll look to the Storm as the sleeper in the playoffs to steal a series in the second round. Let's see if the Buccaneers can hold them off.

Prediction: Campbell River 4 - Nanaimo 2

Well that's my first round playoffs predictions, and it seems that the first round my be a short one for 4 teams this year, as there are 4 very strong contenders for the Championship this season. Check back after the first round is over and we will review my predictions, and then move on to the second round.