Cover

Sunday 2 March 2014

First Round Recap, Second Round Predictions.

Well the first round of the VIJHL playoffs is in the books. No real surprises came out of the first round, as the 4 teams expected to win were all victorious. In fact, all 4 series' ended exactly as I predicted. Let's quickly recap the first round and then move onto the second.

Victoria vs Kerry Park

Prediction: Victoria 4 - Kerry Park 0
Result: Victoria 4 - Kerry Park 0

Peninsula vs Westshore

Prediction: Peninsula 4 - Westshore 1
Result: Peninsula 4 - Westshore 1

Comox vs Saanich

Prediction: Comox 4 - Saanich 0
Result: Comox 4 - Saanich 0

Campbell River vs Nanaimo

Prediction: Campbell River 4 - Nanaimo 2
Result: Campbell River 4 - Nanaimo 2


The second round will be a little for difficult to predict as far as who wins how many games. All 4 remaining teams have what it takes to win it all this year.

Victoria vs Campbell River

Again let's take a look at the series I know best. Victoria versus Campbell River. The season series between these two is split at 2-2, and I think that might carry over into the playoffs. These teams are evenly matched on many levels, but ultimately I believe Victoria has what it takes to finish this series off. Now, I might be slightly biased, okay I am completely biased, but I still believe it completely. Victoria has two goalies that can be the starter on any team in this league, and a defensive core that could give fits to most Junior A teams. Their powerplay is second to none, and basically everyone on the team can score. Although unlike the last series versus Kerry Park, I don't think special teams will be the deciding factor. The only team to have fewer penalties than Campbell River during the regular season was Victoria. This series will come down to solid by-the-book hockey, no funny stuff, but that's not to say it won't be rough. If Victoria is make this series shorter than the 6 games I think it can go, they need to win in Campbell River and shut down their top line, in front of a huge Storm fan base.

My pick for the player to have the biggest impact: Robert Zadra. Expect him to jump up from defence when he needs to, and to anchor the second power play unit. He can score, hit, and generally annoy his opponents to no end. I expect him to dominate the physical game on both sides for this series. Who said tough guys aren't allowed to score?

Prediction: Victoria 4 - Campbell River 2

Comox Valley vs Peninsula

This series is quite a bit different than the Victoria series. It can basically be a coin flip. I think this series has the potential to go 7 games if the Panthers can stay out of the box. Peninsula was the most penalized team in the league, but their PK is actually quite solid, after all they had lots of practice. The Panthers do hold a 3-1 season series advantage over the Glacier Kings, but I don't think that will be a huge factor. Both teams have been playing very well, and both teams dispatched their first round opponents quite easily. The main question I have, is there any Peninsula players suffering significant injuries from the series against Westshore? That series was akin to a gladiator battle for 5 games. If Comox is to win they may be in for a long brutal battle, not many teams can win against the Panthers in a physical game. I think if this series goes 7 games, Comox will win by virtue of the comeback momentum, and possibly having a healthier team.

My pick for the player to have the biggest impact: Grayson Vickers. If the Panthers bother to give him the ice time I think he deserves, he will cause all kinds of problems for the Glacier Kings. He's probably one of the biggest defencemen in the league who can also skate. I can see Vickers having his way with Comox, if he isn't being stuck on the bench for a player or two who aren't as solid.

Prediction: Peninsula 4 - Comox 2 (note: if this series goes 7 games, I think Comox takes it)

I have been saying for weeks now that Comox is my pick from the North to head to the finals, but I don't think they can get past the Panthers. If my predictions are as accurate for the second round as they were for the first, we should see the Cougars and Panthers in the finals once again.

Agree or disagree with my predictions? Sound off on Twitter! @VicPlaybyPlay


Come back in a few weeks for my final round predictions, regardless of who is playing, but in the mean time I am sure I will have more to say. I have been on a roll lately. It's still cold in the booth, but you can't beat the view.